Fun Facts to Know and Tell
Demeter, Patron Goddess of Chi Omega
Notes from Ida Pace
“The decision concerning Chi Omega’s patron goddess was thrust on
Mrs. Purdue in 1905. As S.H., she received a hurry up letter from Ida
Shaw Martin, who was preparing to send her “Sorority Handbook” to the
printer. Her inquiry was: “Has Chi Omega a patron goddess?” A reply was
sent forth at once, naming Demeter, although Demeter had never before
been mentioned as watching over Chi Omega’s destinies. It will be
acknowledged, without a doubt, that no other was possible. This
selection was ratified at the next official meeting.About “Sis Doc,” Dr. Charles Richardson
• Born January 8, 1864 in Rich Valley, a rural area in Southwest Virginia.
• One of 11 children.
• Studied at Vanderbilt University in Nashville for dental school.
• Wore a watch fob that had a Kappa Sigma badge on one side and a miniature Chi Omega badge on the other.
• Served as a national officer for Kappa Sigma Fraternity.
• Jobelle Holcombe said it was a myth that Dr. Richardson was in love with one of the Founders. Later during the same talk, Jobelle said, “Dr. Richardson used to call on Ina Mae Boles quite a good deal. He liked her.”
• Owned one of the first cars in Fayetteville and often went to the Psi Chapter house on Sunday afternoons and drove the members around town.Match the famous Chi Omega with her school.
Which of these Sisters claims Memphis as her hometown?Whistle this!
Believe it or not! Chi Omega really does have an official whistle. Try it!What are these?Name these Chi Omega related buildings
What is the architectural style of Buildings A, B, C, and F below?
Click here for solutions
|A||_____ Old Main at the U of Arkansas–Fayetteville, where founders Jobelle Holcomb and Jean Vincenheller asked Allie Simmons to join their new sorority.|
|B||_____ The sketch our founders made of their concept of Chi Omega’s future Founders Hall.|
|C||_____ Grandin Road house in Cincinnatti, Chi Omega’s first national office and residence of S.H. Mary Love Collins.|
|D||_____ Chi Omega Executive Headquarters, our national home since 1994.|
|E||_____ The White House, where many presentations of Chi Omega’s National Achievement Award were made.|
|F||_____ The Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, the location of 21 Chi Omega Conventions.|